Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter...

It's been one of those reminiscing days. Not that I wanted to reminisce. Sophomore year of high school is not something I like to re-live.
That was quite a year in my life. That year undoubtedly set me on course to become the person that I am and the person I am becoming. Oh, horrible sophomore year. A year that I was so down about life I spent most of that school year depressed. Life as I knew it sucked. To me, there was no reason to live. Sleeping was all I did, and I would cry when I'd wake up, because my dreams were so great I never wanted to wake up. I was so low, I couldn't be any lower. Months of talking to a counselor finally sorted everything in my fucked up head out. It took a while, but in the end it was worth it.
At this point, if you're even still reading, you'd probably like to know what I walked away with. Call it a cliche, but life is too short to get crazy over any one thing. Say what you want, say that you know that, but until you've wanted to end your life, until nothing mattered anymore, until you couldn't control your life or your emotions, and frankly didn't give a shit to try and control either, you will never truly understand what I'm saying. But trust me, it's soo very true, I cannot push the issue home enough.
Let me go a little more in depth. Live life for yourself. Take it one day at a time. Tomorrow will come, no matter how much work you did today, no matter who you talked to, or what you ate. Smile as much as possible. Laugh as much as possible. Have fun whenever you can. Who cares what other people think or say about you? At the end of the day, what the other students at AU say or think about you will have no bearing on your life whatsoever. I will always be as goofy and have as much fun as I can in the quad or in the dorms, and as long as I'm not hurting anyone, I will not care what other people think, because what the kid down the hall says or thinks about me won't affect if I get into law school or become a sports agent.
Take risks. Try foods that you may not necessarily like. Talk to anyone and everyone. Sleep late. Forget to do something. Spend time with the ones who really mean something. You don't always have to go out of your way for people. There's about 5 or 6, 10 at the max, people in your life who are worth dropping everything for at any moment.
Sing out loud when you feel like it. Yell to people across the quad. Laugh out loud in class if your professor says something funny. Sit in the Tavern or TDR forever shooting the shit with people. The work will always be there. You have the rest of your life to spend hours upon hours on work. Go to bed knowing that you made the most of your day, no matter what that day held. Wake up knowing that at least 1 good thing will happen to you.
And, to end this lengthy entry, be yourself. Be happy for you and no one but you. In the end, you are #1. Twenty years from now, the fact that Joe Schmoe back at good old AU didn't pay you the attention you wanted, or Suzy Sorority didn't let you in her sorority because of what you looked like will not and should not matter.
This is your life. Yours and yours alone. We all have our own mission, what we want to get out of life. This life is precious. You only have one chance to do it right. Why constantly worry about the laundry list of things that you will always have to do, when you are surrounded by some amazing people?
I don't mean to sound self-righteous and holier than now. This is the stuff I try to live by everyday.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
Just do what YOU want. Life YOUR life the way YOU want to live it. Because in the end, that's all you have. All you have is YOU. And if you can't even count on yourself, look inside and know that this life is yours for the taking, that the world is your oyster, then you need to learn how to live.
Happy Easter Everyone.

No comments: