Tuesday, November 02, 2010

When you think of the lawyer type, I bet you don't picture me.

You see some big wig looking all put together in an expensive suit, donning some sharp looking briefcase, right? Looking incredibly smooth and ready for anything, and likely to piss someone off.

I'm 5'3. I have curly hair I work too hard to keep looking straight so I can look my age (a month shy of 26) and appear more professional and put together. And most days my attire is casual, because I spend most of my days at a desk, amidst red wells, manila folders, and piles of papers.

Bet you'd never think I fit the type-a personality. The "cruise director" in college, I traded it all for casebooks, westlaw, pleadings, and crafting legal arguments. I keep two calendars, and, despite owning an iPhone, iPad and MacBook (which are all obviously linked), I still take comfort in writing it all in a desktop Filofax. I have multiple "To Do" lists and they are constantly tweaked and updated.

I was made for this. You wouldn't think it to look at me, but I am. I'm an attorney. "Esquire" follows my name. I carry a card that says my Florida Bar Number. Hell, I even signed up for the US District for the Southern District of Florida Bar examination, which I'll sit for December 16th.

On the other hand, at a month shy of my 26th birthday, Bandit, my 1-year old miniature Schnauzer and I have moved back in with my parents. I'm still undecided on what to do with the loans that kick in in 12 days. Some days I have to borrow money from my parents.

Every day, I think I am one day closer to landing the dream job in a firm. In the meantime, I scrape by mooching work off a solo practitioner as I reach to bring in my own clients. Of course, it started with one, and now I'm at four.

It's a long, lonely road. Everyone seems too wrapped up in their own lives lately to care for the others. At least, those in the world of the law are that way.

Is that how it is? We're all just going to forget any friendships we ever had? Is that what our type essentially is?

Can I be both? I love my new-found friends who are not related to the legal field whatsoever. They are refreshing and truly good people. Anyone who takes the time to get me to go out, that's big time.

I want to be both. But I'm beginning to think I can't have my cake and eat it too...

No comments: