About a year and a half ago, I decided to get back into the gym. I was feeling gross and law school and general laziness had taken its toll on me, and I was nostalgic for my tennis player days, so I joined a gym, and was talked into my first spinning class. Since then, I've been hooked. I try to go to as many as I can in a week, and generally feel better about life afterwards. But let me tell you, it is quite the soap opera, or "novela" as the Cubans say...
To actually get into the class, you have to sign up a half hour early. Which, really, can be a hassle. Since I work til 6:30 everyday, I can never make it in time to sign up for the 8 o'clock class, which means 9 pm spinning class. Late, yes, but worth it.
So I drag myself to the gym around 8:15 just to ensure I can actually get a bike, then have a half hour to kill before class. Sometimes I'm too tired so I power nap against a wall (I bet I like super cool napping in a gym but they don't pay my dues so only God can judge me) or work on some machines.
But these gyms, they're a hang out. I'm not really quite sure how many people (read: women) go there with the actual intention to "pump iron" or break a sweat or really to perform any of the normal rituals one would while in a gym. I usually end up frustrated because I can't find a mat to stretch (or sleep) or work abs.
Another thing I should mention: I'm 99% sure I'm the only white person in there. In a city known as "north Cuba" or "north Latin America," I walk into the gym and it's like, "hey! who let the white girl in?" Needless to say, I get a lot of stares. Cuban women are built completely opposite to white women: no chest, huuuuuge bottoms. So in walks the 5'3 with no apple-bottom and heads turn. Which makes me laugh, considering I'm the most clothed woman in the gym anyway, in a hat, t-shirt and workout pants.
So, once I've battled my way on to the bike list, and past all the turning heads, it's usually time for spin class. Take the bikes out, set them up (there's a lot that goes into this: handlebars at the right height, seat at the right height, correct resistance, put my shoes on, clip into the bike, generally look hot while seated on bike...), and wait for class to begin.
Women apparently need to size each other up in spin class. Which is really dumb, but then again, so are most of the paranoias women hold about each other. I could give a hoot less about any of the women in the room, and I'm usually joined by a friend in spin class, so normally we're chatting it up.
Which really brings my story to somewhat of a point. Last night there were multiple women who just could not give me the stink eye enough. I mean to the extent that I was getting upset by it- and it takes a lot to get me upset! I focused on my breathing and spinning, but I was not a happy camper. Throw in the fact that I've become friendly with the spin instructor and I was just on their shit list.
Look, you can be the best person at spinning in the universe. I don't care. It's my hour to work out and swear and forget the day and focus on pretending I can be in the tennis player shape I once was in. Just don't give me stank eye.
I think this post went nowhere. I had a point when I started.
I wonder who will be at spinning tonight...
No comments:
Post a Comment