Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I sit, waiting the traffic out.

Miami traffic is unimpressively unreal. I live around 10 miles away from Brickell Avenue, where I work, yet, and I kid you not, it has taken me up to an hour and a half to get home. This is a 20-minute drive turned into my worst nightmare.

A lot of days I continue working, but I made it to 6, and I am tapped out.

Today's work: Jury Verdict and Settelements in personal injury cases involving dog bites.

Majority of the states today have "dog bite" statutes in place, which essentially make a dog owner liable for any bite and its damages caused by the dog. As Florida puts it, the owner becomes the dog's insurer. Essentially, even if you have no idea that your dog has "vicious propensities," you're SOL if it bites anyone.

My research leads to the conclusion that the average settlement comes out to around $24,500 in these cases. This generally includes medical expenses, including any future expenses, and the pain and suffering expenses, and, often times, emotional distress damages due to PTSD or the like.

And majority of these cases settle before ever seeing a courtroom. The reason for this is simple: get the right jury, and $25,000 turns into $100,000. Amazing what you can do with the "justice" system!

Nevertheless, my intrigue of torts/personal injury law grows. This will undoubtedly be a messy case, and I'm glad I'm working on it from the beginning. The research has been interesting thus far, and I will continue to share what I can.

Outside of this work, the job hunt goes on. Was fortunate enough to send my resume out on a couple more leads today, shall see how that turns out. It's frustrating to go through three years of law school, a relentless hell, to come out with a Juris Doctorate and no prospects. While that may be the state of the US for now, it's nevertheless very tough to keep one's head up, and, having finally joined the adult world after 25 years of school, I now feel everyone's pain. And I should have gone for my LLM.

Now to tackle the ever-daunting task of drafting a cover letter. Need to master the fine art of explaining my legal genius in a less-hubris-like manner....

No comments: