Thursday, May 24, 2007

The New Canaan Effect

I was pretty excited to get home yesterday. When I woke up, it was like it hit me, and I wanted to get on the road and get home as soon as possible. And I did.

It was real nice getting home. I stopped in to see my tennis coach and catch up on old times. He looks great still, it's really not fair, and I look forward to being home for good to hit some with him. He was a huge part of my life and it was good to see him doing so well.

Dad and I went to dinner last night and caught up. It was the first time him and I actually really had a good conversation, one on one like that. Often when it's just him and I the conversation is sparse, but there was something different last night. Maybe I had more to say, or he did, or he was not as stressed about work as he usually is. Whatever it may be, it was enjoyable.

Today I ran around doing errands most of the day. Woot for a sale at the Rugby Store--for those of you not familiar, a trendier and (somewhat) cheaper Ralph Lauren store. Cool stuff, and the logo is a skull and crossbones.

Which brings me to my first deep thought in a while. My sister, mom, and pretty much everyone keep telling me how I'm really going to need to change the way I dress when I am in Miami starting in August. Ok yah, I know I'm not the trendiest girl, and prep girls probably don't go far in Miami, but I really don't want to change myself completely, and I am sure I will pick up more of the "style" once I'm there. It's just annoying that they are constantly harping on how I dress when it's what I feel good in.

If I actually felt more comfortable about how I look then I would dress a little more trendier, and this is something I am working on. I'm never going to be a size 0 but I'm doing what I can before I enter the world of bikinis. Sometimes I wonder why I picked Miami, it really is going to be culture shock, but no doubt it will be good for me.

Being home makes me laugh as well. The moms are all ridiculously skinny and don't look their age. The cars are gorgeous. The kids all prepped out. Oh I wish some of you could come here and see where I grew up, it would really explain a lot more about me.

My cousin's sweet 16 is tomorrow night. So I'll be heading out there as the awkward cousin. It will definitely be a good time and I'm glad I'm able to attend. While I'm looking forward to it, I am absolutely not looking forward to the drive back on Saturday, where I will most likely hit the Memorial Day beach traffic, and I am definitely not looking forward to the extensive cleaning/packing/throwing out that will be going on until Wednesday.

And can anyone help me move my stupid bed? Jamie said she would but we're gonna need some help from a guy. We need to move a mattress and box springs from my apartment to the Berks. Oh this is gonna be an adventure on Wednesday night...

Anyways, I am looking forward to starting my job in NYC a week from Monday. Should be interesting, and fun. I hope. Not looking forward to commuting.

I also wish I wasn't so dumb sometimes, ans really wish I had had everything all packed by this weekend so I could have next week to chill out. My plan is to get as much done as early in the week as possible so I can get back, I mean I barely have work clothes for a 5-day work week. I would have been better served getting everything done in the past week and a half that I did nothing so I could not be a freak before I begin my job.

So a week from today I should be moved back to Connecticut for two months. I'm shooting to be back Wednesday night---my dad wants me to do a "test run" on the train so I know where I'm going on Monday, and yah I should get work clothing.

Good luck to me, Sunday and Monday are gonna be super fun.....

No comments: